Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Flight 93 Memorial


This year for vacation we drove to Gettysburg, PA for the 145th Civil War Reenactment. Before we moved to Kansas we did several reenactments with Tom's parents. Now my idea of a good vacation involves a beach, but this was a way we could visit with Tom's parents. Instead of trying to fly with all the civil war stuff, we decided to drive. It is about an 18 hour drive from here to Gettysburg. On the drive there we broke the drive into 2 days. On day 2, we decided to take the "scenic" route because we would be driving by the Flight 93 memorial. I'm not sure what i was expecting. It was way off the main road in the middle of a mountain like area. Once you turned off the highway, you drive down a dirt road until you think you must have missed a turn when you see it. It is in the middle of a field. You can only see one house and i kept thinking about what those people must have been thinking that day.



As with most people, I remember the day pretty well. ATD was 3 weeks old. It was about 10Am and I was triing to sleep (because ATD was finally asleep). The phone rang and I was praying the phone wouldn't wake the baby. Then the long message began from our friend Tommy (again I'm thinkng please make this short so you don't wake the baby). He was in New York on a busness trip. He called to let us know that a "bomb" had gone off in the World Trade Center but he had left earily and wasn't in the building. He wanted us to know he was OK and would call us later. At the time, all I was thinking was thank goodness he didn't wake the baby!! I had no idea what had really happen until Tom called me from work and told me to turn on the TV.

We did not really prepare ATD for what we were going to look at. It was hard to explain to him what had happend. I didn't want him to be scared to fly since he will be flying home from Ga in a week. I think he is still a little confused, but all the questions ( and he can ask alot) were answered.

There will be more on the vacation in the next couple of days...

No comments: