Sunday, June 15, 2008

Weekend war against weeds

8am Saturday me and the oldest son drove just up the highway to a chicken swap. Unfortunately we came home empty handed. I was went hoping to find some green egg layers to add to the flock, but no such luck this time. The trip was far from a waste of time. Turkeys and goats were popular items at this particular sale. I hope to get a couple of each in the near future (shhhh! don't tell Jenn), so I was able to talk to several people about the different breeds they raise. Its hard to beat the fun of a good chicken swap.

The weather this weekend was fabulous in our little part of Kansas. So far this spring it has been a rare thing to get two consecutive days without rain. The garden plants seem to be in shock and the weeds were close to taking over. By lunch time on Saturday it was dry enough to break out the heavy artillery. So, with my hoe in hand I went to war, I even enlisted help.
Five hours of chopping and pulling, along with several bales of hay for mulch I think we finally have the upper hand. But if there's one thing I've learned about weeds... they'll be back.

Here's a little surprise we found under one of those bales of mulch hay.
Mommy mouse scurried away and didn't look back. Just so you know, I actually relocated the the nest along with a shovels full of dirt to some tall grass in the general direction that mama ran. Maybe she found them... hopefully a the cat will.

And lets not forget. Today is fathers day. There are traditions to upold.
Ahhh, its a wonderful life.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, nothing cuts grass better than a goat - just beware of the unusual scent! As far as the chicks - my friends in south GA buy 30 chicks a year and they have quite the flock (?) now. I think there are green layers in there, too. Too bad, they don't ship very well - or I'd send you a crate full!

Sounds like a great weekend - glad the weather gave you a nice day. After a shelter-run this past week - you guys deserved it!

Love the hammock - you da man! Happy belated Father's Day - you're doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

I love the garden! It looks llike it should have much to bear this year! Do the boys like helping?

I think you both have found your place! Awesome! How far is it to drive there for a visit?

Phelan said...

We should be drying up here soon and you will be praying for rain. AUgust in Kansas is horrid.

Geese will help you out in the mouse problem department.

Looks like a good father's day!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great Father's day was had by all our guys! Mine spent his on the beach.