Friday, June 13, 2008

Our fun last night....

It has been a crazy spring and beginning of summer. When we told people we were moving to Kansas, there first response was "why? they have tornadoes there." Until this spring, there had been more tornadoes in Georgia then near us in Kansas. Then this spring/summer came and we have been under more tornado warnings then I care to think about. So last night, Tom was working until 11pm and I was here with the boys with tornadoes getting close. I have to admitted I was getting a little freaked out...and it doesn't help that ATD was totally freaked out. ( let me back up a little. when we started looking for house I wanted one with a basement and that was final...I was not carrying kids across the yard to get in a shelter...well guess what, we couldn't find a house we liked with a basement. So the VERY first thing we did when we moved here was put in a tornado shelter.)

So ATD is freaking out and would just get in the shelter as soon as the weather radio goes off. We waited and watched the news and things were getting a lot closer. I emailed a friend and asked her to start praying things would miss us. I started getting things ready..just in case. I got shoes out (we forgot those last time), flashlight ready, my purse (with an extra diaper for OTD) and of course the camra. ATD gathered up a few things to take for him and OTD to play with...and we waited. It looked like things were going to hit just north of us..by about 7 miles. But the weather people said the magic words...they said our little town needed to take cover NOW. So out we went. I got a few pictures before getting in the shelter. By now the sirins were sounding. We stayed in the shelter about 30min...I'm sure longer then we needed, but I wasn't taking any chances with both boys by myself. Thank goodness no damage. It didn't even start raining until we were in the all clear.

Here are a few pictures
After it was all over, the boys slept well....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Whew - quite a night - glad it's an "all clear" now! You'll need some extra rest yourself.

You're pretty good at multi-tasking - wrangling 2 boys, yourself, the weather radio and e-mail - oh, toss in the camera!

I salute you!

Hugs.

Phelan said...

Welcome to Kansas! One of the reasons we came back was because of the storms. Funny you got the response from people of "they have torndoes" We always got "people really live there?"

Tornadoes have been slow the past year, but looks like we are getting back to closer then normal. No worries, after spending a few years here you will learn what to watch for, signs that will tell you when you need to go inside or duck and cover. It does get easier and soon your boys will fight you about going to the cellar.

It's great to meet you both.